Thursday, February 21, 2008

So yesterday we had our orientation for Macquarie Uni. During the morning session they welcomed us and presented several extra curricular opportunities like seeing leadership speakers, going to rugby games and more weekend trips like the surf camp. During lunch Sam Running and I (there are two Sams, one is my roomie and the other is Sam Running) went to the travel agency on campus and booked a trip to the Blue Mountains for this Sunday. After lunch was the academic orientation. At Mizzou getting registered for classes is stressful enough, so doing it in another country with two advisors at different schools is a pain. But fortunately I got my classes approved before I got here. We also found out that since we are study abroad and not exchange students we are not eligible for a lower student priced bus fare. Sorry Mom and Dad.

This morning I went to campus to get my student card and take money out of the ATM. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no fee charged when I got my money! Then Sam R, Kevin, and I went to Sydney and caught the ferry to Manly Beach. I've always pictured a ferry as a little dingy, but obviously a dingy couldn't hold many people so it looked more like a very small cruise ship. Along the way, we got a beautiful view of the opera house and bridge, as well as the architecture on the cliffs and several sail boats. After a short walk past surf shops and food stands, we made it to the beach, only to find that it was closed due to a dangerous under current and huge waves. We couldn't swim, but it was still nice to lay out and watch the waves. I have much more appreciation for the waves and the surfers now that I have tried. I think I'll go on one or two more surfing day trips.

Unfortunately, Sam got pretty sick today. My feet aren't used to flip flops yet, so I have huge blisters. We were a sad looking pair walking from the bus stop- I was hobbling and she was holding a trash bag... haha.

Good news about the apartment. We get a cleaning lady every other week!

Despite the few complaints I've had, I can't describe how much I love this atmosphere. Maybe I'll move here. Just kidding Mom, but it is paradise. The Aussies are unbelievably kind- today a guy that saw us get off the bus when Sam got sick came back with his wife to give us a ride. They brought water and a bucket for Sam, and took us to our apartment so we didn't have to wait for the next bus. This is not the first random act of kindness we've received.

Tomorrow- Bondi Beach and Darling Harbor

No comments: