Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summa time





I knew it was only a matter of time before I NEEDED to find a pool. I'm a pool rat for life, what can I say? We had the weekend off so we hit up Google to find a swimming hole in Beijing. After finding one, managing to get the front desk to translate directions, and getting lost in the taxi, we made it there. The Chinese are quite a bit more modest in their swimwear (mostly one pieces or tankinis) and I thought at any moment I would be scolded by one of the moms for an inappropriate bikini... but they didn't. It was a more of a little kids pool so we really didn't swim, but soaking up the rays felt nice. We did this two days in a row...

Also at the pool I was starving and had no choice but to try some mystery meat on a stick. They cooked it in hot oil in front of me and several days later I'm still living, so I guess it was fine. Speaking of strange food, a couple nights ago some friends and I decided to brave the night market. This is a long line (two block long maybe?) of street vendors selling food- everything from fried scorpions (which Regan tried in the pic) to silk worms to starfish on a stick. Usually I'm pretty brave with weird food, but I was already feeling a little sick with a cold so I didn't put my stomach through that rollercoaster. They did have regular food like fruit, dumplings, and fried ice cream, too.

I talk a lot about food don't I? haha Well, we were starving for mexican food last week and found a little place called La Bamba with a great happy hour, good nachos, and a pool table. They played country music while we attempted to play pool (i'm afraid we're terrible) and I almost felt like I was in Texas or Mexico or something. Was a good night.

Oh- and one of the coolest things I've seen on this trip was the Chinese Acrobat show! The ladies could pull their legs over their heads and balance little chandeliers on their feet at the same time. They must have a few less ribs than me... The men jumped through hoops and did crazy stunts- most without safety harnesses or nets! Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures. When our group came out of the theater we all had our mouthes open, but were speechless!

Yesterday I had my first day of training at the Olympic Green (my field hockey venue). Although I will not be working as a flash quote reporter I've accepted my job as is and am looking at it through a more positive lens. Officially, I will be an assistant in the Press Workroom where all the journalists go to get their quotes and work on stories. I will be there to answer questions and guide them to the mixed zone (where reporters talk to athletes) or the venue. My supervisor is actually from Sydney and has worked a few Olympic Games before this. One of his jobs was in marketing at the Games, so hopefully he'll be a good contact for later! During lunch we were able to go inside the hockey, archery, and tennis venues (which are all close to each other). I actually got to stand on the hockey field and also stand over where Federer and Nadal will play tennis! This was the first time all of this actually seemed real.

Just an off day today. I'm going down to layout in our back yard of the hotel. We like to imagine that we're in Cancun cuz the restaurant has little umbrellas like Mexico would. If you just close your eyes it feels like paradise...

More later.

No comments: