Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Let the Games begin!





I apologize for not writing in a while. Let me recap a few things...

I won a raffle last week in our field hockey venue for tickets to the opening ceremony rehearsal (pic included). For those of you who watched it, my favorite part was the opening with the light-up drums. It really was a spectacular showing by China and the New York Times nailed it when they described it as "Lavish." At the rehearsal (on the 6th) they did everything except the torch lighting and the fireworks.

On the night of the opening ceremony a large group of us went to the Green near the stadium to watch it on the large jumbo screens. With hundreds of us sitting on the street (many had waited for hours for a spot) 95 degree heat, the ceremony began. But the TVs didn't show it. This was the last straw for me. The other girls stayed to wait 2 hours for the fireworks, but I went home. You see, I had been at a pizza restaurant the night before with a large group and my wallet had been stolen. I had already spent all day looking for it, canceling cards, and figuring out how to get money. Then, my water bottle leaked all over my bag and got my phone wet, so it didn't work (fortunately I let it dry out and it's working now). I was fuming, sweating, and had to leave for work the next morning at 6:30 so I just took a cab home to watch it on TV. This was actually a good idea because I'd already seen the rehearsal and on the TV I was able to see all the athletes and a close up of the ceremony.

The field hockey games began on the 10th- let me walk you through my typical day. At about 1:30pm I head to work and hang out in the press room until the journalists arrive around 4pm. At that point, it's my responsibility to make sure they are taken care of. I have to answer any question they throw at me. And these are tired, hungry, time-crunched journalists- so any question is game. They ask about food, bathrooms, the press tribune, how to fax things, what the daily schedule is, where to find a bus, etc. And I'm basically their first line of fire when they have a problem. My supervisor says, "Just smile, Kristine." (I posted a pic of her at the help desk)

Time flies once the games start at 6pm. It's so cool when I can hear the national anthems playing outside and watch it on the TV at the same time. The US women (our men didn't qualify) are ranked 11 out of 12 and they tied Argentina, number 2, the other night! I'd never seen this sport before the Games, but now I'm so into it! After each game there is a press conference. Sometimes, if they need help, I'm able to sit in and watch. After the last press conference I get to leave. I typically arrive home a little after midnight.

This schedule is long, but managable. It will get hard tomorrow because I have a night shift right now and then have to turn around and leave for work by 5:30am. Ahhh what I will do for the Olympics!

OH- and did I mention that I got to sit in while Federer and Nadal practiced tennis?! Yeah, the tennis courts are in the same venue as field hockey, so my accreditation allows me to get in there as well. (I have a pic of me with Fed in the background, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this)

Mizzou hooked us up with beach volleyball tickets yesterday. I saw LAT vs ARG and AUS vs ANG. They also just told us that we will receive free tickets to track and field on the 16th. This includes several finals AND- the men's 100m final!

No comments: